Monday, February 18, 2008

screw air conditioning

Forget it...I'm tired of messing with the designs. I'm not even sure the engine can support a modern air conditioner on the days that I really need it. I wear a heavy leather jacket and bake on summer days on the motorcycle, so sitting in short sleeves and shorts with the windows down in the saabette, will be a comparable luxury.

I can remember being stuck in traffic when I was in school, in the sonett, and the temp gauge was pegged. It was the middle of august in houston and close to 100 degrees. Probably even higher smack dab in the middle of houston on a concrete slab with 4 million other cars surrounding me. I turned the heater on full blast in a desperate attempt to supplement the overworked radiator up front. It was just barely staying green. And I want to add the additional load of an air conditioner? I suppose I could upgrade the cooling system...which will require an upgraded alternator...plus the extra belts will pull on the balace shaft bearings and strain them...forget it! Nobody will EVER want to ride with me...which may not be such a bad thing. And it will probably scare off more girlfriends. But I don't care. I'll just keep the subaru. It will be paid off by the time I finish the saabette anyway. Plus it will make a nice tow vehicle to take motorcycles to the track.

No comments: