Monday, February 18, 2008

Learning something new

I welded in the last patch of sheet metal yesterday....weird. I did 8 small patches. i realized just how good at it I had become. I can tell the difference in thickness when I'm cutting the metal, just by feel. I can feel the difference between rust and solid metal through the cutting wheel, and even just by knocking on a seemingly good surface. My MIG welding is just short of fantastic. I can cut through a 1/16th inch piece of sheet metal, and barely scrape the sheet metal beneath it..(assuming I know its there). I really surprised myself. But it's time to move on to the next skill. I've been collecting information on paint, and I'll go spend the money this week. I'll stip the whole chassis with a wire wheel, and the places I can't get to with the wheel, I'll hit with some chemical stripper. Then, cover with some two part epoxy primer/sealer. I'll only have time to do a small part at a time, so I'll do the bottom and vertical surfaces first, and then the top surface last. Primer will not stop rust from forming by itself, so I don't want any standing water on any of the surfaces. I'm going to put some Roadgaurd on the bottom and in the wheel wells and then cover with a one stage urethane, eggshell black. Then, at home I can rebuild the master cylinders, and reinstall them and the rebuilt suspension onto the chasis, along with new brake lines, fuel lines and wiring harness. In the meantime, during the class, I can start stripping and sanding the body and front clip. Paint that and drop in onto the chasis. Then engine work, transmission, and a million details...then I'm done...thats it! I"ll take it to car shows and win all kinds of trophies and girls will find me irresistable.

No comments: