Monday, February 18, 2008

saab update 11/15/06

put some work into the saab lately. got the trunk and rockers painted. Man those rockers took a lot of work, but they look really good now. Unfortuneatly, i'm afraid that all that work is going to get broken off by a jack stand or good rock hit or something. I really wish my metal work had been better. It's solid. More solid than stock actually. But it wasn't straight so I have a lot of fiberglass filler on it. The guys at school say that the stuff will be fine, but I worry about it. I suppose I'll know how to do it better next time..

I also put the steering arm back in with new tie rod ends, and remounted the suspension with new bushings, and ball joints. I cleaned and painted some of the components to make them look pretty. Those springs are absolutely deadly to install. I only got one of them installed next week, and then realized it was upside down. I didn't think it would make any difference, but the winding of the springs and design of the spring cups makes it slip off the top cup if it is installed upside down...drat!

To install the springs I have to take the upper A arm completely off, compress the spring, install it, and put the A arms back on. gah...and if you have the spring compressor in the wrong spot it binds when you let it out, and you have to start all over...bloody freaking fussy engineering.
Here are the pictures...






No comments: